Tips on Police Assistance
Decide beforehand if you'll call the police next time you're
attacked. What will you ask them to do?
- stop the attack and calm abuser down?
- arrest abuser?
- take abuser away?
- take you to a safe spot?
- Practice beforehand what you will say if you call the police.
REMEMBER: The police can only do what the law allows!
- "I'm being beaten up. Send help. My address is _________."
HOW TO GET THE BEST
RESPONSE FROM THE POLICE
- Be as calm as possible.
- Don't be afraid to ask the police to make a report.
- Tell them about the assault in detail.
- Show them any injuries, bruises or damage to property.
- Let them know if anyone saw the attack.
- Let them know if the abuser has hit you before.
- If you have a protection from abuse or restraining order,
show it to the officers.
- Ask for the phone numbers of shelters, hotlines, prosecutors,
- Ask for the case number of the report and the officer's name.